What is IYA?
International Youth Academy is a special cultural program for high school-aged youth from all around the world. Students can improve their conversational English while having fun, developing new understanding of teens from many different cultures and gain lifetime friendships.
International Youth Academy Highlights
Program dates for the Two-Week program are:
Student Arrival Date: Sunday, July 23, 2017
Program Start Date: Monday, July 24, 2017
Program Finish Date: Friday , August 4, 2017
Student Departure Date: Saturday, August 5, 2017
All student groups are required to be accompanied by a Chaperone.
- All chaperons are fluent speakers in their students' native language and proficient in English
- Chaperones participate in all IYA activities and are responsible for their students at all times
- There is no tuition fee for Chaperones that attend with 6 or more students
- Chaperones will stay on campus with theirs students and will share one room with another Chaperone
Students in the International Youth Academy will be staying at The University of Toledo's dormitory with other international students for the entire 2-week program.
All students will be in double occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom and living room. All rooms include:
- Bed sheets & Towels
- Welcome gift.
All meals are included in the program from the first day to the last day of the 2-week program. The majority of the meals will be at The University of Toledo's restaurant. Students will also have outside meals at different restaurants around Toledo, including:
How to Apply
Applications are to be sent as a group. That means, once a group of students and chaperon is completed, the chaperon will send his or her application as well as his or her students' applications.
- Download the application form (found below)
- Fill it out with information required
- Scan and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline (Extended): Saturday, May 13th, 2017
Application forms for chaperons and students are available in the download link below. If you have any questions please contact our program leader Inma Zanoguera. There are only 40 student spaces available.
For more information contact Toledo Sister Cities International. Phone: (419) 530-4233
Or email: email@example.com
Students who are high school age (ages 14-17) and have studied English for at least three years are invited to share in this exciting, fun event. This is a program to learn about other cultures and make new international friends while practicing American English.
Our exciting program is designed for students to share their thoughts and experiences with teenagers from other countries. American Youth Diplomats work side-by-side with students to assist them with English, learn about the students’ traditions and culture and share interests. English classes, language games, cultural activities, field trips and hands-on team building events all aid in improving students’ conversational English.
Tuition is set by Toledo Sister Cities International at $1,400 per student, regardless of country, for the two-week program. The price includes:
- Daily (Monday-Friday 9AM to 5PM) Youth Academy program
- Course materials, instructors, and chaperone fees
- Transportation cost within the United States
- Entry fees for field trips
- Lunches & dinners
- Program completion certificate
Students are responsible for providing their own airline tickets to Toledo or Detroit, long-distance telephone calls, and their own personal spending money.